The congregation of St James the Less was first gathered together in a rented shop in Springburn in 1875 as a mission of St Luke’s, Grafton Street. The church grew and a building was erected in 1881 on a site in Mollinsburn Street, Springburn. However, closure of the brass and steel foundries in Springburn began a rapid population decline which devastated the community and threatened the life of every church in the area.
In the case of St James this was mitigated by those of an Anglican church background moving into the rapidly expanding Bishopbriggs and bringing new life to the Springburn congregation. Together with the effect of Springburn people moving outwards to Bishopbriggs, the result was that the centre of density of the congregation was moving North.
By 1974, plans for the Springburn by-pass coincided with major repair work being needed to the church building and this led to the decision that the church would have to be demolished and rebuilt.
The decision was taken to rebuild in Bishopbriggs rather than Springburn and the new church, designed by Weddell and Thomson of Glasgow, was begun in the summer of 1979 and dedicated on 20th September 1980.
The congregation celebrated the 25th Anniversary of the move to Bishopbriggs during 2005.